Saturday 16 November 2013






Course: EDUC - 6165 - 6

Week 3 Blog Assignment

Strategies for Effective Communication

Joanne Lynch

Date: Saturday 16th November, 2013.


     Although professional relationships involve some confines when it comes to interacting with colleagues, it is vital to manifest sensitivity, and to really care about the people you work with. However, if you do not care about them, it will be complicated for them to care about you when it comes to working together.  Actually, the capability to communicate effectively becomes exceptionally critical when faced with apposition, unsupported, or antagonist colleagues.
     Nonetheless, there are three strategies that could be used to assist me in communicating effectively with my colleagues. They are: (1) To be forbearing, respectful, and try to enlarge my capability to endure ambiguity, once I am speaking to someone with distinct dissimilar worldview, (2) Be mindful, because my life is what my ideas make me. Certainly, I have to be responsively acquainted with what my colleagues are doing, thinking, or sensing, especially when it comes to cultural differences, where I have to accept that there is a link between thoughts and deeds, whenever I interact with persons from varying backgrounds, (3) Avoid negative judgments, because these can be hurdles for effective communication, and can cause mistrust and suspicion, as well as, kindle violence. More importantly, instead of making convictions, I will have to acknowledge variations and observe them as interesting difficult tasks, rather than as impediments to be eliminated.


Reference
Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.




1 comment:

  1. Your last comment about seeing difficult conversations as a challenge rather then an impediment is inspiring. No doubt it will take work rather then just giving up but will end up strengthening relationships and promoting professional growth.

    ReplyDelete