Saturday 3 November 2012

PERSONAL BIRTHING EXPERIENCE

WEEK 1 BLOG ASSIGNMENT - EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT - EDUC 6160 - 6

It was exactly thirty - eight weeks when I gave birth to a bouncing baby boy, on 20th October, 1991, at the General Hospital. The process was not an easy one, but giving birth was a very special moment for me, although it was complemented with intense back pain.
It began with mild contractions, which was occurring at regular intervals, but quite involuntary. Each lasted a few seconds, but as labour progresses, they became more frequent. While the cervix dilated, one noticed the release of amniotic fluids, then contractions became stronger, the "water bag" was ruptured, and a sudden rush of fluid came out. Contractions became longer and more painful, and there was little time to relax, since the pain was felt in the lower back.
Two nurses came to my assistance during labour, then instructed me when to push at each contraction. Full dilation enabled one's cervix to widen, so as to allow passage of the baby's head, but it was not possible for the baby to pass, so the nurses did an episiotomy, which was a small incision that prevented one's vulva from tearing during birth. The baby's head began to show, while the nurses guided the baby out of the birth canal. Eventually, the baby was born, after which the expulsion of the placenta and umbilical cord came through the cervix. This is sometimes called the afterbirth. The umbilical cord was then clamped and cut, then the baby was dried, weighed, and measured, then an identification bracelet was placed around his wrist.
The nurses began to clean the blood from my skin, then sew the incision that was made during birth. This was very painful. Then, I was told to take frequent salt soak, which assisted in the healing of the wound. The salt soak was, a warm salt solution placed in a small basin, and I had to sit in that for few minutes. I spent only one day at the hospital, since everything went smoothly.

3 comments:

  1. Women give birth to children in different settings around the world. Here in the United States we are able to have the luxury to deliver our babies in the hospital. I have never heard of soaking in salt to help in healing the wound. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience having your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, thank you for sharing your personal birthing experience. You relayed the event beautifully-- isn't it amazing that despite the pain you were in, you can recall every moment of your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleague Joanne:
    As you describe your experience I am reliving mine again with my two daughters. I do not know where you are from but that salt soaking was something that my mother told me to do after each birth. This heals the wound quickly. We also had the identification bracelets. I suppose this is something that is done in the Caribbean islands. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete