Saturday 22 September 2012

My Childhood Web!!


 
The five persons who influenced my life


I am Joanne, encircled by the people who nurtured and care for me when I was a child. They include my father Maurice, and my mother Venessa, who played the most vital role in my life, since they were the most important role models whom anyone could have emulated. Both parents ensured that my basic needs were met, as well as, provided me with the essential habits and morals needed to develop into the proud individual I am today. They were excellent disciplinarians, who cultivated and guided my development by providing a safe, yet challenging arena for me to learn how to interact with society.

Not forgetting my Godmother Eunicey, an individual chosen by my parents to take an interest in my upbringing and personal development. She too had played an integral part in my childrearing years. She helped to instill moral intelligence in me, which now defines my ability that reflects upon what it means to be a “good person,” as opposed to a “not so-good person.”
In addition to the people mentioned above, is my big sister Marion who loved and cared for me, by bringing unique strengths to our family’s relationship. As a child, she washed my clothes, combed my hair, helped with my homework, and showered me with gifts on special occasions like my birthday, or Christmas. This disciplinarian sister was extremely warm and supportive, who encouraged me to share ideas even when there were conflicts or misbehaviours.

Last, but not least, was my cousin Jean who was mostly involved in my social upbringing. I had many opportunities to enjoy children parties, school fairs, matinee, Saturday shopping at the vegetable market in the city, going to the beach, as well as attending Sunday school every Sunday.  She provided bridges to aspect of the outside world, by allowing me to experience and explore things as a child.

Obviously, it is a well known fact that the influence that was given during childhood remains forever and impacts on my life. Certainly, the values that were instilled in me have led me at the peak of success today, by having proper perspective on the value of education, hence, and having a well-rounded one. Also, I am provided with motivation and guidance throughout my life, by having respect, co operation, understanding and situation handling, peace, integrity, honest, and trust.

“Manners and behavior will carry throughout the world” is one memorable statement made to me as a child.  As an adult and now an educator I can see the wisdom behind those  simple eight words.
Joanne

 




5 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne,
    First, I have to say I love your web! Your organizer makes it very clear who was a big influence in your life. Nice job!

    I believe our parents were the same as far as caring and making sure we were in safe environments. I think my parents sheltered us as kids from the real world many times when I didn't even realize it. I never knew if there were struggles in the household or in the world because they kept to themselves pretty much. But that was all in order to keep us safe and feel secure.

    Reading about your sister made me go back to the day when I wished I had a sister. I have two brothers and they are close with each other and many times I feel like the outsider. I always wondered if having a sister who I could rely on would have made me feel less like an outsider. But I cannot begrudge that now or let it worry me because it is what it is and I am who I am due to the dynamics of our family. Your sister sounds wonderful!!

    I love the quote you ended with because my family said the same thing although not in those words. They always felt that if we behaved and had manners that we would go far. And my mother always said if you can behave out in the world then you can let loose in your home. I still follow that today and instilled that in my own children.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Denise;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne
    I love the quote too. These words echo some of the things my mother spoke to us about.Our parents were the solid background in our lives.It seems as if your cousin Jean helped to get you away from some of the "strictness" at home. I like the fact that you had a wonderful godmother who played an integral role in your life. I totally enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful childhood web and it is very detailed. You did a great job with showing who had the biggest influence in your life when you were little. The quote in the end is priceless. Manners and behavior are 2 things that we do get to carry with us throughout our lives that we get from our parents. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly enjoy your blog; it is beautifully done. We are very blessed to have a loving and caring family that instilled morals by providing guidance and correction. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your post, I especially loved how you set up the web around your picture. Thank you for sharing that quote from your childhood, I am currently passing that on to my nieces and my son.

    ReplyDelete